Sunday, November 12, 2006

One Theory To Rule Them All

Once upon a time I began to write an article on the process by which a scientist becomes what our skeptic friends like to call a 'crank'. You know the type - 'My theory explains it all/is the only thing we should be worried about.'

Why would I attempt such an article? Because I could see exactly how I could become so enamored with the explanatory power of my own model that I could begin to ignore and gloss over the hundreds of questions I couldn't answer. (And those were just the questions I came up with.) In fact, I had become so absorbed in my work that my life began to get horribly out of balance in other respects. People noticed and, eventually, I did too.

So rather than choose to continue to battle for recognition in the scientific realm - an arduous process at best, designed to kill whatever joy you may have once felt for your work - I chose to put my observations and ideas here for any and all to judge. No admission fee. User-friendly metaphors. And FUN. Dammit, science should be fun!

If you find any merit in these ideas, please feel free to work on them to your heart's content. If not, then I think that there's an exit here somewhere... :)