Sunday, October 15, 2006

Science Is Thrilling Again

"True science teaches, above all, to doubt and be ignorant."

Once upon a time I was at a conference, attempting to present support for the idea that state selection was not a random occurrence and that there was solid evidence for looking at the brain/mind in an attempt to find the differentials that guide it.

While conversing with two gentlemen, I gave the illustration of a coin flip and being able to steer oneself into whichever outcome (Heads or Tails) one desired. Being the good scientists they were, they immediately asked for a demonstration and produced a coin. They chose the target outcome before the flip and they flipped the coin; we all observed the outcome. And we hit the target 6 times in a row before another gentleman walked up. At this point, beer was wagered on subsequent outcomes. (You still owe me that beer!) And we hit the target outcome 2 more times before my fellow observers became too freaked out to continue.

Now obviously I can't prove that I didn't just make that whole story up. But I have often wondered if that demonstration (and others like it) made any type of significant impact on the people who witnessed them. I never would have gotten to the point where I could have produced such a demonstration if I hadn't been willing to push science to tell me more.

Science is observation and experiment and deduction, not rationalization or comfort zones or excuses. How will science ever be thrilling to you if you aren't at the very edges of what is known? If you aren't struggling to find new methods and coax new secrets from experimental data?

If you can't even look at the borderlands of science without whining about how it can't be true, then you will have to be content with boring science. Just stay out of my way. ;)