Friday, July 27, 2007

Surfing the Waves of Probability

"But after the momentary exaltation of lifting the rock I saw clearly that such acts were in no sense the goal of the spirit, but just a by-play of its true life, amusing, and sometimes useful, and often dangerous, but never themselves the goal."

That being said, I do still manage to have some fun here is Smearland... :) Especially when I can isolate myself from competing observers and get into the 'zone' where synchronicities are immediate and abundant. I like to call it 'surfing the waves of probability'. It's difficult to explain to someone the sheer joy that you can feel when you throw yourself into the ocean that is the multiverse, find a wave, get into the zone and ride it to a spectacular result? This is a metaphor, of course, but it is most appropriate.

It takes a certain amount of skill to find the universe where your favorite song plays back-to-back on three different radio stations, or to find a universe where something materializes in front of you that perfectly captures your thoughts or feelings. Or to find a universe where the item that you've been looking for, the one that wasn't there a second ago, is now right in front of you (and on sale).

These may seem like trivial examples, and certainly much more spectacular feats have been achieved, but things like this give you a strange sense of oneness with the Universe while allowing you to stretch your wings and soar. So this is what I do for fun - I surf the waves of probability. Some of my most prized possessions are the 1-in-incaluable-odds 'trophies' I've collected after an awesome ride. And some of the greatest opportunities I've had have come about because I rode a wave to that universe.

This was the good part of my vacation, and these are the things I cling to when it seems like I will never succeed in establishing this idea as a valid paradigm for scientific study. You tell me how I can do these things, and I'll let it go. :)