Thursday, November 09, 2006

Lunatic Fringe

"Your theory is crazy, but it is not crazy enough to be true." - attributed to Niels Bohr

In fulfillment of my professional obligation to share the fruits of my endeavors, I have participated in several forums, including the Towards a Science of Consciousness conference and its offspring, the Quantum Mind conference.

You would think that the coming together of such a group of pioneers would engender a spirit of camaraderie amongst the participants and a sense of respect for the other individuals who have ventured into the final frontier. You would think...

And then you are confronted with the harsh reality of the difference between science as a way of thinking and science as a profession. For example - Science as a way of thinking would examine ideas and evidence for merit, not credentials. Science as a profession demands that you be a little more circumspect in deciding with whom you will associate.

I left these conferences with several impressions...

1) Those trained in hard science (myself included) have a bias against data from the 'soft' sciences or unconventional sources. This bias tends to rear its ugly head when surrounded by the plethora of perspectives and approaches to consciousness research found at these events. Anything 'softer' than you is deemed crazy and not worth your time, and you tend to seek validation from the sciences that are 'harder' than yours.

2) There is strong tendency to associate with those individuals within your own stratum. Maybe it's a comfort-level thing. Maybe it's a fear of risking even more of your reputation as a scientist by failing to know your place.

3) Many more people who participate in such forums are motivated by the desire to validate what they have chosen to do than they are by the desire to explore what others have done. Everybody has something to say, but nobody is listening unless what is being said will impact the credibility of their own research. Is there another way to structure these events that might result in a quicker, more efficient and productive exchange of ideas? One wonders... Perhaps if collaboration facilitation were an occupation unto itself...

I have participated in such forums both before and after receiving my Ph.D., and I do not exempt myself from these failures. But I do think that I have learned that science as a profession can quite often stand in the way of scientific progress.

Still, these are the games scientists play, so I'm sure I'll turn out for a few more conferences. ;)