Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Broken Dice

I've acquired quite a collection of obscure writings on chance, randomness, etc., and one of the most unique books I've come across on this subject is The Broken Dice by Ivar Ekeland (1993, English translation).

What I enjoy most about this book is that it is packed with excerpts and references to the role of chance in history. Perhaps I should be more clear... The casting of lots, the throwing of dice, the Urim and Thummin, etc. - used as tools to make major decisions or achieve justice.

Did they know something we've lost?

Admittedly, I am no historical scholar. And, in concession to the skeptics, it could be that these were just isolated instances of a favorable outcome told and retold to make the victor appear to be divinely favored or supernaturally gifted. Or they could reflect mass ignorance as to the nature of chance and randomness. But tools of chance were systematically employed across culture and history to make important decisions - why?

What if, at some time in ancient history, it was more widely know that there was a connection between 'chance' outcomes and human will? What if concepts like the strongest observer and the sum of the effect of multiple observers were blended into a ritual for the masses, which then became a custom whose origins were lost over time?

Like I said, I am no scholar in matters of history, but I do enjoy a good speculation. And occasionally I'll post said speculation. :)